Pages

October 22, 2010

Spinach "Pesto"


I've never been pesto's biggest fan. In fact, I pretty much hate it on pasta. BUT slap it on some meat and I'm in love. One of my favourite fancy-ish suppers to make includes pesto-stuffed, prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts. Oh baby. So so so good.



A couple nights ago, when I noticed that I had a bag of spinach with no plans, I decided to whip up a "pesto." Then I noticed the pork tenderloin in my fridge and figured if pesto tastes good with chicken, why not pork?

Gather up your ingredients: spinach, nuts of some sort - I used walnuts but pecans would be delicious too, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, a lemon or lemon juice, a couple cloves of garlic, salt, and pepper.



First throw the whole bag of spinach in your food processor and pulse a couple times until there's enough room to add the rest of the ingredients. It will look something like this:

Then, add about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup nuts (lightly toasting them will give your pesto incredible flavour), 2-3 cloves of garlic, about 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.


Pour about 1/2 cup of olive oil in while blending until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Use as a traditional pesto sauce for pasta or split open some meat and slather it on. For my pork tenderloin I just split it in half and pressed it down so it would lay flat, spread the pesto on top, and folded it back over. Normally I would do a pinwheel cut, but this tenderloin just wasn't thick enough.

For chicken breasts I usually cut a little pocket. For steak, I love to make pesto butter and melt it on top. Yum!


Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I love pesto of any kind, but never think to put it on meat. Will need to try that. Recently made arugula pesto which was really good.

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it? let me know!