Pages

September 30, 2010

Cream of Potato Bacon Soup

My Dad gave me a grocery bag full of potatoes straight from the garden so I had to rush home and whip up something yummy.


I don't know about you, but Cream of Potato Bacon Soup is one of my favourite things in the whole world. So, so, so good. Total comfort food that is just perfect for a chilly Fall night.


The secret ingredient is nutmeg. If you've never used nutmeg in a potato dish, you're probably thinking I'm nuts, but just wait until you try this!!!


Any recipe that starts like this can not be bad! Oh, did I mention that this recipe is not for those who are watching their weight?!

Note: this is my own recipe so I'd really appreciate credit and a link to my blog if you choose to repost. Thank you :)

Cream of Potato Bacon Soup
 
1 pound bacon, cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
10-12 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
About 3 cups chicken stock (enough to cover potatoes)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
 
1. Fry the bacon on medium-high until crispy; set aside. Reserve 1-2 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
2. In a soup pot, saute onion and celery in the reserved bacon grease. Once almost fully cooked, add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add potatoes and saute until softened (I microwaved mine for 10 minutes first so it would be super quick, but you can boil them or leave them raw). Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Puree soup until it reaches desired thickness (I use an immersion blender).
5. Stir in heavy cream, bacon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Simmer for another minute or two and enjoy!
 
My tip for using whole nutmeg is to keep grating it in to the pot until I start to smell it.
 
Oh yea, if you calculate the nutritional information for this, you're not allowed to tell me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

love it? hate it? let me know!