Pages

August 19, 2011

Cheddar Bacon Strata



My husband and I are finally into our new house and I've been able to cook in my lovely new kitchen! My old kitchen had 2 feet of counter space (not exaggerating) and was not easy to work in to say the least. Now, I have lots of counter space to make all kinds of yummy stuff.

This morning I was watching an episode of Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry where they made a skinnier version of an amazing-looking quiche and decided to make a strata for breakfast. It turned out really yummy so I wanted to share the recipe...


I used Ritz crackers as a "crust" and just threw them into a lightly-greased 8" round pan.


I fried up 6 slices of diced bacon.


 I sprinkled the perfectly crispy bacon and vegetables (which may or may not have been softened for a few minutes in the bacon grease) over the crackers. For the vegetables I used fresh corn, zucchini, and red onion from the farmer's market, but you can use whatever you have on hand.


I whisked 4 eggs with about 2/3 cup of milk until they were foamy so they'd be nice and light. Add a little salt & pepper or whatever spices you want.


Pour the eggs over the bacony goodness.


Don't forget the cheese...sharp cheddar would be best, but use whatever you have. I just had some double cheddar.

Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes until it looks something like this...


To test if it's done, poke a little hole in the center to make sure there's no liquid. You can also check to make sure it's not jiggly, but I like the hole-poking method better.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

love it? hate it? let me know!