Pages

September 5, 2010

Homemade Pop-Tarts!!

Yep, you read right. Homemade Pop-Tarts! Holy YUM! These are so so so good. And so so so easy.


Who wouldn't want to give these to their family rather than the store-bought Pop-Tarts when they are so quick and easy to make? If you have pre-made pie crust (or store-bought) these take 15 minutes max to make including cook time.

I almost always use the original Crisco recipe for my pie crust since that is what my hubby's grandmother always used and he won't have it any other way.

You really don't need a recipe for these babies, but here's what I did:

Preheat your oven to whatever temperature is indicated for the crust. Usually around 425-450°F.

Roll out your dough and cut it into whatever shape you want just make sure they're pretty even and you have an even number of them. I did a few heart-shaped ones, but mostly just regular old rectangles.

Throw a few teaspoons of whatever filling you want in the center of one of your rectangles and top with a second; crimp the edges. I used 2 different kinds of jam, but you could use jam, pie filling, peanut butter, chocolate chips, etc - the possibilities are endless! I've got a container of Nutella that is just begging to be baked into Pop-Tarty goodness. You can add an egg wash if you want to, but I didn't bother.

Bake until golden brown...around 6-8 minutes.

Mix up a quick glaze of icing sugar and milk (and a drop of food coloring, of course) while they're baking.

Top with glaze & decorations while warm and enjoy! I promise you'll never buy Pop-Tarts again!

If you want to freeze these so you can toast them like store-bought Pop-Tarts, leave the glaze off and cool completely. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

love it? hate it? let me know!